Since the inception of the college, English has been taught as a general subject and the college acquired affiliation for Honours in English from the University of Calcutta in 1996.
Introduction of General course : 1981
Introduction of Honours course : 1996
Academic Programs Offered :
3 year B.A. Honours Course in English
3 year B.A. General Course in English
Centralized Academic Calendar of the college is followed.
- The merit lists for admission in Honours course are strictly based on merit (on marks basis).
- Central Library can be used by the students of both Honours and General courses.
- The Departmental Library has a quite rich collection of books and Journals for the students of both Honours and General courses.
- Internet connection is available in libraries for staff & students.
- LED projector with some film and documentaries is used to support class room lectures.
- Special attention is given to the slow learners .
Activities of the department:
- Extension lectures by eminent scholars and teachers of neighbouring colleges and other universities.
- Seminars & workshops by the students and teachers of the Department.
- Teaching- learning process through chalk and talk, OHP, Power point Presentations.
- Audio-visual mode of teaching.
- Module based tasks, remedial class and tutorials.
- Educational Tour.
- Departmental hand written Magazine , The Third Eye, is walled up twice a year.
- The department publishes a students’ Journal , Rich Out , once a year.
- The department brings out a biennial Journal, Insight , where articles are contributed by noted teachers and scholars from various institutions.
The department has two sanctioned full time posts and posts of four guest lecturers.
Dr. Sarmishtha Maitra
M.A. , LL.B., M.Phil., Ph. D.