Serampore Girls’ College affiliated to the University of Calcutta and recognized by the UGC was established in the year 1981 to fulfill its goal of performing female education in Hooghly District. The founder members of this college introduced Sanskrit as a pass subject of study from the very beginning. In the year 2000 Sanskrit Honours Course was first introduced to the college. The student strength of the department of Sanskrit both Honours and General is increasing day by day. At present there are about one hundred thirty five students in three years Honours course and about four hundred students in three years General course. Percentage of successful candidates (both Honours and General) is satisfactory. In the last year three out of 51 students passed in first class in Honours examination and one of them scored 76% marks in Honours subject.
Introduction of Pass Course : 1981
Introduction of Honours Course : 2000
Academic Programs Offered:
- 3 Years B.A. Honours Course in Sanskrit
- 3 Years B.A. General Course in Sanskrit
Drama, Prose Kavya
Kavya, Drama, Prosody & Grammar
Alamkara, History of literature
Kavya, History of literature , Essay
Veda, Arthasastra, A Text book of Dharmasastra
Grammar, Linguistics, Indian Philosophy and a Nyaya Text Book
Drama, Grammar, History of literature, Kavya, Upanisad
History of literature, Kavya, Dharmasastra text.
Kavya, Alamkara, History of literature
- The departmental has its own library which is rich in collection of books.
- Question bank – University Model questions are preserved in Departmental library and Dictionaries are also available.
- Financial Assistance is given to the meritorious and poor students from Students’ Aid Fund, Teachers’ Council Aid Fund.
- For the enrichment and all round development of the students various acticities are taken by the department.
- Tutorials are taken regularly. For the weaker students remedial classes are taken after Text examination.
- Seminar on course related topics, Quiz contest on course related topics and Extension lecture on syllabus based topics are also taken.
- For Personal Counseling of the students Parents–Teachers–Students meeting are arranged every year.
- Students are admitted strictly on merit (on marks basis). Most of the students come from rural background (low and middle income group) and many of are first generation learner.
- The relationship between Teachers and Students are very cordial. There is an open House Discussion about the Teaching-Learning procedures, their faults and remedies.
- As on today the department, has a faculty strength of five (one full time teachers, two part time teachers and two Guest teachers). All the teachers are highly qualified and well efficient in their respective field specialization.
Name of Teacher
Dr. Silpi Adhikari
M.A., M.Phil, Ph. D.
M.A., Net Qualified
Jayanti Pal Choudhury
M.A., Net Qualified