Overview of the Department
The Department Of Sociology is devoted to offer quality education in sociology. The department was started in the year 2005 with an undergraduate program. Since then, lectures along with ample study materials have been provided by the faculty members to the students which has helped the department to maintain a record of consistent academic success over the years.
- Introduction of General Course : 2005
Academic Programs Offered
- 3 year B.A. General Course in Sociology
The department follows the academic calendar of the college.
- The department maintains its own library.
- Normal method of teaching is through lectures. In addition to this frequently the department uses ICT classrooms for generating greater interest in the subject and better understanding.
- Apart from regular classes, tutorial classes are held at regular intervals and home assignments are arranged by the faculty. Teachers are available beyond the class hours for increasing the scope of teacher-student interactions.
- The departmental wall magazine Disha is enthusiastically prepared by the students of the department under the guidance of teachers.
- Parent – Teacher Meetings are regularly held where teachers interact with the parents of the students and discuss their academic progress, attendance related issues, issues of punctuality etc. The department makes an effort to find out any grievances the parents or students have and try to solve such grievances through mutual discussion.
- Regular feedbacks are taken from students on academic matters.
- Field Trips are organized by the Department of Sociology.
- During lecture sessions instructions are given both in Bengali and English so that students coming from both backgrounds understand the contents.
- The department encourages Student-Teacher interaction and organizes seminars, subject based quiz, excursions and workshops in collaboration with NGOs for overall development of the students.
Students are admitted strictly on merit. The students’ community has a good variety. They come from Municipal as well as Rural areas with different economic backgrounds.
Faculty members present research papers in different seminars and they have publications to their credit also.
Dr. Saswati Chanda
M.A., Ph D