Women’s Cell (Centre for Women’s Studies) of Serampore Girls’ College was established on the International Women’s Day, 8th Mach, 2010. The members of the cell constantly endeavours to cater to the provisions made by Hon’ble Supreme Court and the National Women’s Commission by adopting gender friendly policies to Protect and Promote gender sensitization among students and staff (most of our teaching, library and office staff are ladies) of the institution.
Prime objectives of the women's cell:
- To make our students aware of the legal and constitutional provisions to defend themselves against the social and familial atrocities.
- To Provide the Students, Academic and Non-Academic staff of the college a comfortable place to study and work freely and happily.
- To train them to come of some help for others in trouble.
- To learn to live with dignity and appreciate the dignity of labour as many of our students come from very modest background.
- To make them aware of hygiene and health hazards.
- To teach the students to be united in time of crisis.
- All these are achieved through different seminars, workshops and Publication.
- The Cell brings out an yearly journal Amader Katha .
Ways to achieve:
- We seek help of eminent persons like Doctors, Lawyers, Sociologists, Social Workers, State Administrators and Police to advise us on different issues.
- Since the three pillars of the Government--- legislative, executive and judiciary at the local, state and central levels--- have the responsibility towards empowerment of women, we though small but as an important component of the society, must contribute our might towards this venture.
- Women’s Cell takes a holistic view to the overall development of our students to make them aware of their potential to be empowered women in future.
- To try to teach our students in every possible way to practise the elimination of gender-based discrimination in their social life.
- Dr. Soma Roy Jana (Principal)
- Dr. Bandana Chakraborty.
- Dr. Kalyani Sarkar.
- Dr. Kumkum Sarkar.
- Smt. Chandrima Ray, Secretary, TC
- Dr. Malancha Lahiri
- Dr. Nandita Mukherjee
- Mrs. Kasturi Mondal
- Miss Juthika Pal, Sectary, Alumni Association
- Miss Sudeshna Som, General Secretary, Students’ Union.
- Dr. Sharmishta Maitra
- Dr. Saswati Chanda
Representatives from non-academic staff:
- Ms. Tanushree Samanta (Assistant Librarian)
- Ms. Reboti Chakraborty