“It is not possible for a bird to fly with only one wing”, felt Swami Vivekananda. He believed that society cannot progress depending on men alone. It has to harness female power also.
Serampore Girls' College was established in 6th June, 1981 by a group of visionaries who stood for the propagation of female education in this part of our sub-divisional town. This college, fittingly inaugurated by the noted educationist and the then President of West Bengal Higher Secondary Council late Smt. Anila Devi, catered to a long standing demand of the local people for a college exclusive for Girls' which originally started with only 47 of students on its roll and with only seven general subjects in humanities group. In 1983 the first batch of students was sent for their Graduation Examination and since then it has maintained its steady journey with an average of 1800-2000 students on its roll per year.